Tips To Kick Start Your Energy Before Heading To The Office
February 20, 2012 | In: General Nutrition
Article by: Pam Higgins, Certified Health Coach
Do you struggle during the work day with energy and find yourself reaching for coffee, donuts, or candy just to stay in motion? Here are a few tips to help get your energy going in the morning:
1. Set a regular sleep schedule that allows 7-8 hours of sleep. We all need adequate sleep to have enough energy during the day. Determine how much sleep is best for your body by going to bed at your normal weekday time on the weekend and waking up naturally (sans alarm) the next day. That will help you tune in to how much sleep you really need most days.
2. Drink a large glass of water first thing in the morning. While we sleep our bodies are doing work to maintain functions and recharge from the previous day, this utilizes water and energy. It’s best to start with water as your first beverage of the day even if you drink coffee with breakfast. Which leads to the next tip..
3. Eat a good breakfast before heading to the office. Give yourself at least 10 minutes to sit quietly and eat. A few healthy breakfast options: oatmeal with fruit and nuts; green smoothie with spinach, milk, fruit, protein supplement; scrambled eggs cooked with veggies (spinach, onion, broccoli, peppers); or even last night’s leftovers.
4. Breath. Sit down comfortably and close your eyes. Breath in deeply and let your lungs fill with air. Hold for a moment, then slowly exhale. Repeat 3 times. We tend to take shallow breathes most of the day, especially when stressed. This habit actually decreases energy, so practice taking a series of deep breaths throughout the day. This will help revive your energy and help you think more clearly.
5. Exercise first thing in the morning. Begin with just 10 minutes and increase to at least 30 minutes most days. Adding activity in the morning can kick start your energy for the day ahead. Working out in the morning also increases your likelihood of working out consistently.
Pam Higgins works with busy office professionals who want to lose weight, conquer donut cravings, increase energy, and feel better during the work day. Contact Pam Higgins for a personalized program made just for you!
Grab my FREE Report, “Top 5 Tips to Weigh Less, Live More” by visiting my website: http://www.totalhealthcounseling.com/